Faith at Home is the BIGGEST FACTOR
We have two major convictions at VG|Students:
- God has given the primary responsibility for spiritual growth to parents.
- God created the home to be the place where a child’s spiritual growth is nurtured and developed.
These convictions are the reason that we see one of our main jobs as equipping parents, grandparents and guardians to live out faith at home. Take a look at Deuteronomy 6:4-7, also known as the Shema:
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Deuteronomy 6:4-7
While Moses proclaims to the nation that the Lord is the one, true God, he also focuses his words on families, challenging parents to be disciple-makers in their homes. Many parents know instinctively they are called to be the primary disciple-makers of the home, but they tremble at the thought of playing the role of spiritual leader. The demands of parenting are too stressful, too tiresome and often thankless. Nevertheless, there is hope!
Moses doesn’t merely instruct moms and dads to disciple their children, he also tells them how. According to the latter portion of Deuteronomy 6:7, a seamless way for busy parents to lead change in the home is through the natural flow of everyday life.
It is our hope to provide YOU with resources, encouragement and be your partner to see your student become the person God created them to be! Our weekly services follow an “open door” policy. We want everyone to feel welcome and confident about what is going on in the student ministry. If you ever want to stop in, be our guest!
Faith at Home Resources
Books and Resources for Parents:
- 5 Reasons for Spiritual Apathy in Teens: What Parents Can Do To Help
- Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family
- It Starts at Home: A Practical Guide to Nurturing Lifelong Faith
- The Sticky Faith Guide for Your Family
- Right Click: Parenting Your Teenager in A Digital Media World
- The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in Its Proper Place
- Counseling Resources (A Series a Books on Various Topics)
Resources for Students:
- Checkpoints – A Tactical Guide to Manhood
- Salvaging my Identity
- Impact Student Devotional
- A Call to Die
- A Call to Grace
- This Changes Everything
- Chasing Elephants
Media Resources for Spiritual Growth:
- Jesus Calling (IOS App)
- Bible (IOS App)
- Fighterverse (IOS App)
- Quiet Time by Word of Life (ISO App)
- The Story (IOS App)
- Center for Parent and Youth Understanding (Website)
- Sticky Faith (Website/Blog)
- Focus on the Family (Website/Blog)
- The Source for Parents (Website/Blog)
- A D6 Home (Website)
- The Ultimate Parent YouTube Guide